Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Resurrection: some thoughts for the Easter season

Resurrection


Resurrection is a component of many mystical traditions, (see the preceding Wikipedia link) including, but not solely inherent in Christianity.  

This phenomenon of dying and living again is a universal concept found the world over in diverse spiritual traditions.


The western world is most familiar with the Christian explanation of the death and resurrection of Jesus. Having been raised in a Christian church I find it easy to think of resurrection in the terminology I received there. This does not mean I consider myself a Christian, I don’t.  But this understanding does not keep me from finding insight into the human condition and release from the grave which is everyone’s destination.


I am grateful for the insight into life and death which I have found in the teaching of Jesus; particularly the concepts regarding resurrection.  I am grateful to Paul of Tarsus for his insights into the meaning of Jesus’ life, death and subsequent resurrection. 


The insights brought to view in the Christ Event flesh out the resurrection myths which precede it and of which it is a part. 


I am not exclusive in my partaking of spiritual insight.  I find much in the Dharma of Buddha.  I find in the Dharma the insight available to understand the predicament life has me in.


In the Tao of Lao Tzu I find the same insight but explained in a different way. I love the poetry and simple yet profound beauty of this text. I remember it when I see geese flying overhead or landing in the pond across the street.


For me the most philosophically inspiring and engaging spiritual text is found in the Upanishads (part 1 and part 2.) This is a must read for anyone who wishes to see into the nature of what it means to be alive.  The text is not difficult, it reads like a series of stories anyone can understand.


I know little about many of the dying and rising Gods.  However their existence in the mix of human understanding speaks to something which transcends the obvious trek to the grave.


Having been raised in a Christian tradition I like the way Jesus talks about this. It is obvious life ends in death. It is equally obvious many men and women consigned to sleep in the grave have decided that life is merely a trek to the grave and the most that can be hoped for is to die with the most possessions.  This is the rule of life exposed by the current financial debacle of bank fraud in western society.


I disagree with the current and dominate concept that life is able to be valued by wealth. Many Christians accept this premise and that is one reason why I do not consider myself a Christian even though I find solace in the teaching of Jesus.


Life is an existential affair.  It is indeed a trip to the grave. There is no way out of that ending. However it is possible to see through the scrim of this miserable business of hiking to the grave by taking another look at the nature of what it means to exist. This is what the concept of resurrection speaks to.  It is why the concept of resurrection is not only a Christian concept.  It is a concept indigenous to being human.


I like the way Paul of Tarsus explains it.  We are made alive in Christ.  This, ultimately, turns out not to be merely a Christian doctrine but a statement which refers to the many great traditions of spiritual insight into the nature of the human condition that preceded it.  The revelation found in Jesus and the gospel of the kingdom is accommodated by each of the preceding revelations. The parables Jesus told were keys to understanding the nature of the human experience.  I find that the human approach of Jesus in teaching this singular ‘truth’ is most appealing and accessible. But I do not disrespect the others. I appreciate them for the insight they provide.



I was moved to make the video with Jack and Qkjea because of the concept of the resurrection which is a much better explanation than dying with a fist full of gold and calling that a success. I realize this qualifies me as a fool in the way that the status quo places its values.  So be it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
A practitioner of the art of living with the intent of learning how to die without fear.