Total Pageviews

Monday, March 04, 2019

Mr. And Mrs. Goose Return




This morning ten Canada Geese, a much larger bunch of Mallard Ducks, a few Red-winged Blackbirds and a single Flicker showed up for a breakfast of cracked corn.




Last year a pair of Canada Geese mooched off me daily until all at once they left. They did leave, but of the two one returned for several days. It was the male that returned to say good-bye on two or three successive days. Then he was gone.

Both were accustomed to greeting me and would walk up to within a foot or two of me to be fed. I would speak to them. I wanted to touch him, but I didn't dare. They may be birds but they can strike like a cobra. Their snake-like necks are weaponized with beaks that bite like a lightning strike!  Hard! It's amazing to see.  I didn't want any part of that. 

Anyway Mr. and Mrs. Goose left at the end of May last year and I think they may have returned on the first of March.

At this link is a video of Mr. and Mrs. Goose from last spring.  And another from the day of his last visit when he encountered Spot, my cat.



While watching them there began among the geese a conversation that started with honking. I recognized it as the signal to take off.  (Note: As the honking increases it rises into a frenzy until the flock takes off.) Eight of the ten entirely agreed, and flew off.

The two geese remaining have come back for lunch… and afternoon snacks. I'm hoping they're Mr. and Mrs. Goose. I'm hoping they'll be back tomorrow morning.
Enjoy the videos







No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
A practitioner of the art of living with the intent of learning how to die without fear.