Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Whitman's Dog

(right click on photographs and texts for enhanced information)

I wrote this poem while thinking of the Walt Whitman reference. Click for reading of Whitman's poem. I was thinking how stupid it is to hope for more than the present on the basis of a Christian explanation. If anyone doesn't love this world they would hate 'heaven' too. Both are said to be made by God. To sing this world is not my home seems to be the ultimate sacrilege from my point of view.

God, the universal principle, did put us here. I doubt that the universe changed it's mind and cursed us to extinction. That, I believe, is a 'religious' explanation for our circumstances. Religion has always been the refuge of governments and kingdoms. But religion bears no resemblance to the world seen with the eyes and experienced with the senses. Some say the religious have their heads in the clouds. I suspect they are doing a visual search for hemorrhoids on themselves.

The ultimate mystery is the alchemy of sunlight, moonlight and the response. That response is seen in my garden.


























































Whitman’s Dog




I would rather live and die as a dog
going from one thing to another collecting,experiences
senses full of all around him,
who, knowing his time has come,
finds a place to lie down alone
without fears of judgment and hell,
thinking only of closing his eyes one more time.

Whitman reference below



"I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and
self-contain'd,
I stand and look at them long and long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania
of owning things,
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands
of years ago,
Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth."

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
A practitioner of the art of living with the intent of learning how to die without fear.