Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Dead In The Water



I took advantage of a sunny day and went to the city. It is rare to have mainly blue skies but today it was mainly blue skies.


My skin soaked up the blue skies and turned red and itching. Old timers understand this as a common sunburn, and a chance for free vitamins. Younger or more media conscious people are terrified of the sun and do all they can to keep from being exposed to it. I hope I don't die in my sleep tonight from exposure to this wicked sun today.


Well, I took some photos. When I see a possibility for a series of similar but different photos in the same theme I jump on it. I found the following.

The images are of rotting pilings. They are the remaining evidence of a departed industry. I saw in them some kind of beauty. I had to look over the railing and down to the river to get the perspective. But when I did I saw something. So imagine yourself looking over a railing.

I titled the photographs "Dead In The Water". The pilings are the remnants of a flourishing industry that is now absent. An industry which appears to have consumed itself leaving the warehouse empty and workers scrambling for work.

I see this development with rational eyes. The outcome was inevitable, not a surprise. Everything decays and falls apart. click to see video I made of the pilings as they swayed back and forth in the tide.

I was sitting on the riverside, the sound of sea lions barking a short way off, while I read the Dhammapada and thinking about impermanence.







Photgraphs, video and text (C)2012 David H. Roche

a Clear Running Water state of mind

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
A practitioner of the art of living with the intent of learning how to die without fear.