Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Coffee and Crumbs: Poetry and photography


Coffee and Crumbs


After four days without coffee I made three mugs.
Four tablespoons of ground coffee,
six cups of water,
push the button.

Remembering the bag of bird seed bought yesterday
I fill a cup with seed and dried bread crumbs
to sprinkle in the yard.

A raven lands before I sit down inside,
a band of half-wild ducks arrive like a scourge of vacuum cleaners.
The seed and crumbs are gone
before the first mug is poured.

Hurry out with another cup of seed,
pour it in the grass,
hurry in,
fill a mug with coffee,
sit down,
sip carefully,
enjoy the taste with toast and butter,
watch through the window with a smile
as the horde of ducks
make the seed vanish before my eyes.


poetry and photography by David H. Roche
(C) 2018

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
A practitioner of the art of living with the intent of learning how to die without fear.