Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 30, 2018

I'm Frightened: Poetry spiritual and social issues

Note titled changed to "I'm Frightened Of Atheists". Poem in progress 

Inhumanity disturbs me at a spiritual level. By spiritual level I mean the areas of life that involve relationships and our 'natural' responsibility with regard to those relationships.

We are 'spiritually' and 'naturally' bound to each other and the environment. To sin is to behave irresponsibly with regard to the relationships we interact with.

I am appalled at the callous treatment of human beings at the border. I could not help but recall the words I had heard from the pulpit many times from Matthew 25, read the entire passage here.  


"I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

The spiritual responsibility we have regarding those we share the planet with is exposed in the words of Jesus. As a result of thinking of the events at the southern border I wrote the following poem.



I'm Frightened Of Atheists
I'm frightened…
not by people at the border
needing help and refuge.

I'm frightened by those who have hardened their hearts
and turn them away while
clutching laws to their breast,
repeating shibboleths, 
justifying the plugging of their ears,
the closing of their eyes
and ignoring of the tears.

I'm frightened
by those with hearts so dark
they cannot see God in rags with their 'spiritual eyes'...
fleeing, hungry, fearful
at the border gates in need of help.
Those people frighten me.

© 2018 David H. Roche



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
A practitioner of the art of living with the intent of learning how to die without fear.