Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Berries Berries Berries (poetry and photography)

Blackberry season is taking off.  Today I filled my container in less than a half an hour.  The way things are going berry picking will be more like work than fun in a few days.  I'll have a hard time keeping up with them. But I enjoy the work.




I'm developing my skills on avoiding lacerations and how to get to the ones secluding themselves in the center of the bush. I'm determined to let as few go unpicked as possible. I wonder if the thorns on the vines are some kind of test from God to see if I really really want his berries. I do God and thanks for the berries! The thorns are a good idea.





Along with the benefits of only requiring a little of my time and getting outside in the fresh air and sun, (today it was raining slightly) these beauties are not sprayed with some dangerous chemical made by you know who. 




You can see how many I picked today in the photographs below.  If I were to buy these suckers in the store or along the road it would mean I had a job and a good paying one at that. I got these at my favorite price.  FREE!!!


Berries Berries Berries


Berry picking is easy once you get the knack.
The fat juicy black ones are deep in the bush
hidden by shadows, 
in the back.
.

Getting to them is easy.
Press forward,
tramping down the vines in front
and lean in,
extend your hand as far as you can.
In time you will learn how to avoid the thorns
and keep from falling into the bush face first.

Until then be very careful.
Never wear shorts
and never pick berries by moonlight
it's just not worth it.

(Note.  This version of the poem is slightly different from the one in the video.  I keep changing things and a poem is never done.  Never.)






I made a video with the poem being recited. You can see the video and hear the poem read below











Photography, video and poem by David H. Roche

(C) 2014

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
A practitioner of the art of living with the intent of learning how to die without fear.